Wind Generation Ireland appointed Ionic Consulting to provide project management and engineering support services for the Meenadreen Extension (Mulreavy) Wind Farm projects consisting of 38 no. Nordex 2.5MW wind turbine generators (WTGs). The grid connection to the local 110kV network needed substantial ‘contestable’ works including:
- The IPP 110/33kV substation and WTG collector cable system, including 120MVA grid interface transformer, 10 panel 33kV switchboard, protection, control and earthing systems.
- A new 110kV indoor substation building at Clogher, with a double busbar, gas insulated switchboard with 8 no. feeder bays, a bus sectionalising/coupler bay and space for a 4-bay extension, as well as all protection, control and earthing for the new substation
- 7.5km of 110kV cable from Mulreavy to the new Clogher Substation
- A ‘tail fed’ 110V, 1250A, single bay outdoor air insulated substation at the Mulreavy WF site, interconnecting the WF station to the feeder cable to Clogher substation.
- 110kV cable loop-ins to Clogher GIS from the adjacent 2 no. existing 110kV overhead lines, including construction of 4 no. new 110kV end towers and overhead line diversion works.
The challenge for Ionic was to manage the complexities of the design and construction of these works. We were the single point of interface between all the stakeholders – Client, EirGrid, ESBN and the respective electrical (Kirby Group) and civil (Denis Moriarty Ltd) contractors. We also had to deliver strictly on time, ahead of the ESBN outage season.
Ionic worked closely with the key stakeholders, EirGrid and Kirby Group, progressing and reviewing the design and construction of the substations according to a precise schedule so the infrastructure could handed over to EBSN on time. Design compliance with EirGrid’s functional specifications and ESBN’s asset management/operations requirements was critical. All interfaces to the existing network had to be closely managed to ensure no last-minute issues. Meanwhile the roles and responsibilities of all participants for the final interconnection to the network needed to be clearly understood. At the critical final commissioning and energisation stages for each of the two 110kV loop-ins, Ionic also prepared and managed the step-by-step sequential programme for all work activities.
Initial energisation of Clogher 110kV substation, the 110kV cable, and the Mulreavy 110kV from the 1st loop-in was completed successfully on 23rd September 2016, and the Wind Farm commenced export. The 2nd loop-in was energised on 2nd December 2016 and the wind farm is now in full commercial operation.